The Irons of Khyber
This campaign uses the 5th Edition rules for Dungeons and Dragons, with modifications provided in the following pages:
Character Creation Guidelines
Character options can be chosen from the Player’s Handbook, Dungeon Master’s Guide, Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide, Xanathar’s Guide to Everything, Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes, Wayfarer’s Guide to Eberron, and The Comprehensive Equipment Manual. Additional character options from Unearthed Arcana may be allowed on a case-by-case basis.
- This campaign uses the point-buy method to generate ability scores.
- Characters of the drow and warforged races receive 30 points for the point-buy system, rather than 27. This is to encourage use of the most prominent races in this setting.
- Characters of the warforged race have the Darkvision racial trait with a 60-foot distance.
- Hit points after first level are calculated according to the fixed values in the class entries. They are not rolled.
- Players may select the new Artificer archetype for the warlock class.
- Characters start at 6th level. Character advancement is by milestone.
- Starting wealth (beyond starting equipment from class and background) is 2,530 gp. Characters may purchase up to 2 permanent magic items and any number of consumable magic items, using the rules in The Comprehensive Equipment Manual. These items must be rated common or uncommon.
PHB Optional Rules
The following optional/variant rules are used from the Player’s Handbook.
- Customizing Ability Scores (13)
- Equipment Sizes (144): This applies only to changing armor to fit a different Size-rated character.
- Multiclassing (163-165)
- Feats (165-170)
- Skills with Different Abilities (175)
DMG Optional Rules
- Flanking (251)
- Diagonals (252)
- Disarm, Overrun, Shove Aside, and Tumble (271-272)
- Hitting Cover (272)
TCEM Optional Rules
All variant rules from The Comprehensive Equipment Manual are used, with three exceptions. This campaign does not use the Components by Rarity or Universal Alchemy variants from page 137, nor the Flexible Downtime variant from page 227.
The Double Weapons and Extra Polearms exotic lists are allowed; other exotic lists are not.
Players may roll for a trinket from part 5. This roll is 1d100 + 200, which will produce a result between 201 and 300. The trinkets in this range mach a high-fantasy setting.